Monday 9 September 2013

Bourjois Java Rice Powder


I was lucky enough to win a Bourjois competition on Twitter recently and my prize was this new (well, old...) Java rice powder. This year marks Bourjois' 150th birthday, so to celebrate the occasion they have re-released their Java rice loose powder, which was their first ever best-selling product. It's hard to believe that the product was originally launched back in 1879!
The beautiful mint green packaging with the product name in French is inspired by the Parisian-style packaging of the original product, which I think is a lovely touch.

The Bourjois website states that the original version was "designed to lighten skin and leave it silky-soft" and for the most part that remains to be true. However, the product has been reformulated somewhat into a pearlescent, radiance boosting loose powder, which personally I think would be best used as a highlighter, although you could definitely use it all over your face if you wanted to. The powder is only available in one shade currently, a shimmery, transparent, slightly pink shade, which I think would flatter a lot of skintones.
Personally I twist the product to open it and then tip some of the powder into the lid and swirl my brush around in it, to avoid making any mess, which is the only trouble with loose powders. The product itself is very finely milled, meaning it adds a very natural looking glow to the face, without looking caked on or adding any garish chunks of glitter. 
Above is a photo of the powder before blending it in, to show the subtle, soft pink shade. Below I have blended it in and you will see that it clearly gives an highlighting, illuminating effect.

 Another feature of this powder that deserves to be commented on is definitely the smell! It smells similar to the Bourjois little pot blushes, but with a more pungent floral scent. Quite simply the only way I can describe this smell is "vintage", it reminds me of my Nan! I love it, it reminds me of the way old-fashioned make-up used to smell and I think it's a lovely detail. However, if you're not one for scented products you may not like it!

Bourjois have confirmed that this Java rice powder will be joining their permanent line, retailing for £9.99. Originally it was only available from Selfridges, but you can now find it in Boots and Superdrug.

Have you tried this product? Would you like to?





2 comments:

  1. I really want to try this, it looks really good. I've followed your blog, it's really good and you're pretty.

    http://missbethanyx.blogspot.co.uk/

    <3

    ReplyDelete