Thursday 9 January 2014

Urban Decay Naked 1 & 3 Review

Hey lovelies! I received the original Urban Decay palette in February last year as a birthday present and it has become a staple part of my make-up collection and I use it almost daily. Unfortunately when the Naked 2 palette came out I wasn't particularly excited by it as I was already content with the neutrals I had in the Naked 1. From photos and swatches online I didn't feel that I could justify spending £37 on an almost identical palette and so I decided to let that one pass. 
However, Urban Decay recently released their third installment of the collection, the Naked 3 and as soon as I saw the press release photos I knew I had to have it. Unlike the Naked 2, there is no doubt about the fact that these colours are completely different to the original and unlike the previous two palettes all of the shades in this third palette are all brand new and exclusive to the palette.
  Colours
Naked 1- Urban decay describes this palette as a collection of “bronze-hued neutrals”. It contains a couple of matte browns (Naked and Buck), which are great bases for eye looks and also good for adding definition to the crease, whilst Half Baked and Smog are lovely for creating a bronzy look. The lightest shade in the palette, Virgin, is a shimmery champagne colour and works perfectly as a brow bone or inner corner highlight.

Naked 3
- This palette is “rose-hued” and is extremely feminine and girly. It’s not as warm and bronzy as the original (with the exception of Trick which is a lovely shimmer copper) and instead contains a range of shimmery pinks (Dust, Burnout), mauves (Buzz, Liar), pinky browns (Nooner) and even a beautiful shimmery black infused with specks of red glitter (Blackheart). The highlight colour in this palette is Strange, which is an extremely pale pink/champagne colour (almost white) and I love that it is a matte shadow. Unfortunately I’ve found that the matte Urban Decay shadows tend to have quite poor pigmentation but this is absolutely not the case for this shade. 

Temptalia has some amazing swatches if you'd like to see these colours up close.

Packaging
Naked 1- I love the chocolate brown velvet case of this palette, but unfortunately it does get dirty extremely easily and it’s a bit irritating that the letters have started wearing off. I do like the magnet closure however and I’ve taken it on various trips and it’s always been very secure and none of the shadows have been damaged. I really dislike the brush that comes with this palette though as it's quite stiff and is only really useful for packing on colour.

Naked 3- Urban Decay have clearly acknowledged the obsession girls have developed lately with rose gold and there’s no denying that the packaging of this palette is lovely. The metal casing does make it feel slightly more high end and durable. Also, the fact that the mirror inside is so much bigger is definitely a major plus as it makes it perfect for travelling and on the go touch ups. The brush supplied with this palette is double ended and much softer and it's great for blending so i'm really happy with it.

   The Naked 1 came with a mini tube of the original primer potion. The Naked 3 came with 
   this collection of samples of the different types of primer potion that have since been released and i'm excited to try them out, but to be honest I love the original formula so I think I would preferred to have another tube of that one.

Which do I prefer?
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the Naked 3 and can't wait to start experimenting with all of the colours . However if you don't yet own any of the Naked palettes or are on the hunt for the perfect palette of everyday neutrals I would definitely say go for the original Naked palette, as it really is worth the hype and can create endless different looks.

Both palettes retail for £37 in the UK and can be purchased from Debenhams and House of Fraser.
Which palette do you prefer?

6 comments:

  1. Great review dear!
    I personally like the Naked palette for everyday make up, but both palettes are amazing! :)

    http://kalisinspirationboard.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling blog! I really want the NAKED3, the colors are gorgeous. :)
    New follower on bloglovin' xo Mia
    www.plushluxexo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really want one, oh how I love them :((
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous palettes, although the naked 3 is too pink toned for me x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the Naked 2 palette and love it! I'm looking to expand my collection haha so this is brilliant for a comparison!

    I'm starting a fashion blog myself. Would be lovely if you could have a look! X

    www.peexo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete